Date:
Mon, 28 Jan 2008 22:41:02 -0500
I got some very informative replies to my question about the safety of
sofa beds for ferrets and I'm so glad I asked. To sum it up, they are a
dangerous trap, just as recliner chairs are.

Here are just some excerpts from replies I received, each from a
different person to show the shared experiences:

"Sleep sofas are one of the most dangerous things for ferrets! I would
discourage getting one altogether. They can get into it when it is not
unfolded and can get caught in the metal workings and that would be
certain death."

"i SO would not even THINK about it...just SITTING on a sofa bed if a
ferret happened to slip in there would kill it..."

"Sofas tend to invite ferret exploration they get up inside - can get
caught on wire supports"

"One of my adopters lost one of their kids to a sleeper sofa that was
not open. Someone sat down and the ferret happened to be in the couch
at that time and go this neck snapped in the metal portions.I do not
recommend letting ferrets have any access to a room with a sleeper sofa
or recliner."

"I don't post much but do read and there have been many ferts hurt and
even killed cause they have got into the metal things in the sofa beds,
even without them being open."

That's quite convincing for me. I wanted to share this on the fml in
case I had others wondering about the sleeper sofas.

Thanks to everyone who took the time to reply and let me know of this
danger!!!

Risa
With special thanks from the hobtown boys: Albus, Ismo, Kodi, and Stubbs