From:
Bill Gruber <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Mon, 5 Apr 1993 10:23:20 -0400
This thing is getting weird.  Following are messages I uploaded from GEnie
last night.  Some people are very worried!

(Note I was unable to get permission from the authors to repost these notes.
I hope it is not a problem - please contact me if you would like me to refrain
from reposting).     Bill

[I deleted most - already included above]

From GEnie:
----------
Message 293       Sat Apr 03, 1993
P.GRANT6 [Pam/Pet Pals]      at 11:42 EST

Ok - update time......

 Mysterious virus - you all may recall a "virus" I complained about right after
the Feb 6 FURO show.  Well, maybe Dr. K thinks what the Johnson's have is
unrelated,but I don't.  Georgia Bailey set a ferret for breeding throught the
Johnson's to me after the show.  It has runny stool.  the next thing I know,
everyone has this green runny poop.  I got the Amoxi out.  I thought I had it
licked, but every ferret that comes into the house comes down with it.  I lost
Scooter to it and now Agnes is thin, has the runs, and her nose is turning
yellow (hepetitis).  I has returned Georgia's ferret to the Johnson's after
breeding it, and she said she was not having major problems in her household
until recently.  Now Gina has lost two ferrets.

 I THINK (my opinion - not a vet's) that this virus is triggered by stress. It
is in our homes due to being transferred at the shows, and we are stuck with
it.   As ferrets get older or catch colds, or possibly other simple problems,
the "virus" can activate with the immunization system being low and take a
ferret out in a matter of a few days.   Those of us with multiple ferret
households of larger than most magnitude (shelters, breeders) may not notice
what is happening until it is too late.  I'm running Amoxi through all the
ferrets and Chloromycetan Palmatate (sp?) through the sick one.  Agnes was in
a cage with a four year old male and a 7 year old female and both are fine.
Scooter was in with four other ferrets and they are all fine. It hits at
random based on the lesser hardier ferrets.  Males traditionally are more
resistant to colds and viruses.
 I don't know how to knock this thing out.  It has been two months and I think
it is still in my house.  It is treatable, but must be acted upon as soon as
the signs show up.  I am bring NO adoptees to the Lehigh show - even if I had
any! I am bringing a male kit for the mutt specialty, but will scratch him if
the Benner's are worried.  I do not plan on having out for display. My German
ferrets are fine and I understand Peter Koch has lost one  of his females that
he brought back from Germany.  Keep a close eye on your girls - especially the
pet shop varieties.
 Any further questions, please call me.   Pam