From:
Bill Gruber <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Wed, 7 Apr 1993 01:47:23 -0400
(Sorry, Chris - I accidently sent this to ferret-request too).
Here's another update on the ferret virus, as well as a response to
Nancy's question about the California legislation.  Both from GENie
again.  They sure have been acive there all of a sudden.
Bill
----- remainder forwarded from GEnie -----
Message 302       Tue Apr 06, 1993
P.GRANT6 [Pam/Pet Pals]      at 21:44 EDT

Regarding the virus:
   Yes, it is definitly a virus.  what kind has not been pinned down, but then
it really does not matter.  I talked to Dr. Williams, the vet pathologist who
is in DC and has been doing necropsies for me, Dr. Kawasaki, and a few other
vets in the area.  The database being built is becoming rather extensive.

Anyway, Dr. Williams will be writing a formal statement regarding this virus
by the end of the week for me.  I'm not technically tuned enough to understand
all the ins and outs, but basically, a virus can not be killed. All we can do
is treat the secondary problems: diarhea, vomiting, dehydration, etc.  The
important thing is fluids, inside and if necessary, injected. Amoxi,
cloromycetin, etc. will not stop the virus, just help with the runs and other
afterproblems.  Kepp the ferrets eating and drinking, and they will weather
the virus.  I would recommend any ferret having a spleen removed, or suffering
from insulinoma be scratched from any upcoming show.  My Scooter's post showed
she has a beta cell tumor on her pancreas (which I was not aware of because
she had not started to show any signs) and she died of pnemonia.  actually,
she died of the virus, but it was not what did her in.  Ferrets which have
overcome this bug should not have any relapses, but I am watching all
litterboxes very carefuly.

Everyone who thinks this virus could affect them, I suggest you stock up on
the following in case you discovered problems on the weekend after the vet has
closed:

Pediolite (excuse my spelling, but you all know what I mean...)
 Sustacal, Ensure or some other high calorie liquid,
 Nutrical
 favorite dry cat food (in kitten variety if possible)
 syringe for liquid feedings
 heating pad
 non-alchohol children's cold medicine

Things have stabalized in my house for now.  I have been told that if I want
this virus dead, I will have to cease taking in boarders and adoptees. Well, I
can give up the first,but if I don't take the ferrets in, something worse than
a virus may take them.  So, since things are slow again right now, I'm hoping
this virus does not have a terribly long life span once it can not find a
host....
 Keep you all posted.   Pam
 ------------
Message 301       Tue Apr 06, 1993
DEFFBAM.MINN [R.S.Sellers]   at 02:07 EDT

The long and the short of it according to a conversation I had with
Bill [Phillips] on Friday is that the Fish & Game people won a motion
to have the complain ruled to be improper, however the CDFA people
also won the right to file an ammended complaint so this represents
only a delay of a few months and not a defeat.  Bill seems to feel
that they are succeeding in aggravating them to near the point of
either giving up or doing something stupid.  <when has anything
they've done NOT been stupid??>