From:
James Spurlock <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Apr 1998 12:21:09 -0400
Thanks to those who replied to my question.  I got several replies as to how
to decontaminate, avoid, etc.  All good, but I really would like to know if
anyone has read or determined how long the virus lives outside of the host,
on surfaces, shoes, etc.?  Was it ever determined how long it lives when
exposed to air, heat, moisture, etc., in other words if I walk thru it
today, will it be alive and infecting ferrets tommorrow or next week, or
next month, if I haven't done any of the decontanimation that is
recommended, such as bleach solutions, washing, showering, etc.

At the risk of diverting your attention from the above question, also if ECE
has been treated in the ferrets, and is now in a latent stage (carrier),
will non-exposed ferrets still be at risk, and is it still as easily
catchable?  I realize these questions may have not been answered in the
studies that were done a couple years ago.

Thanks

James