From:
Ann Barzda <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Mar 2000 13:13:27 -0800
I waded through all the FMLs I missed to be sure I wasn't going to answer
something that already had been answered.....

This is a valid concern for any potential showgoers, and I hope that I can
help ease any concerns anyone may have about the upcoming AFA shows in
Pennsauken, New Jersey and South Carolina.  I am a Judge-in-Training with
the AFA, so I do have firsthand knowledge of the protocols to be followed.

1. All ferrets must be vaccinated with approved vaccines, which right now
are only Fervac-D for distemper and Imrab-3 for Rabies, and the vaccines
must be current within the previous 12 months, but no more recent than two
weeks prior to the show.

2. All judges have disinfenctant and are expected to use it.  The AFA has
just switched to a parvocide disinfectant, due to concerns about ADV.

3. Judges must have their sleeves rolled up above their elbows.  This is
to help prevent getting the ferret on clothing, which would be harder to
disinfect between ferrets.

4. Judges and stewards will be wearing plastic aprons.

5. Judges are to disinfect their hands, arms, apron, the table top, and
anything else a squirmy ferret may have touched between ferrets.

6. The AFA uses a judging carrier system.  The exhibitor brings the ferret
to the judging area in his/her own carrier.  No ferrets are switched
between carriers and there is no judging cage (like cats) that would need
to be disinfected between groups.

I hope this helps explain how the AFA is attempting to protect all our
ferrets.

I would add a few other notes:

Cage covers are an excellent idea.  I have always used something to cover
the cages.  Ferrets are more comfortable in a closed space anyway, and my
ferrets are always relaxed and friendly in the ring, due in part, I think,
to the cage cover and them not being overly exposed to the huge room,
bright lights, noise, and many ferrets/people.

Do watch your ferrets and make sure no one other than a judge touches
your ferrets.  Unfortunately, ADV does seem to be airborne and easily
transmitted and while people do have the best of intentions, they could
be carrying that disease or others to your ferrets.

For exhibitors or those who just go to watch and bring their ferrets:
PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE do not let your ferret walk around on their leash on
the floor.  You have no idea what else has walked around there and you are
unnecessarily exposing your ferret to potential disease agents.  Not to
mention that it is really easy for someone to accidentally step on your
ferret.  It always scares me, even before the ADV crisis, to see ferrets
running around the floor.

I would be happy to help answer any other questions anyone may have.

Ann Barzda
Hillcrest Ferrets