From:
Shelley Knudsen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Aug 1999 19:57:25 -0500
Hello,

I just saw a television commercial for a new giardia vaccine for dogs.
Does anyone on this list know anything about this?  I didn't catch the
maker of it.  I would be very interested in something like this for
ferrets, after having treated 30+ ferrets for it several months ago.  If
anyone has any information on this, especially the maker and/or a phone
number, please e-mail me.  While giardia is treatable, it is not a picnic
to treat as ferrets detest the taste of flagyl, which is the only proven
treatment that I know of, and it must be given 2-3 times a day for 30 days,
and the ferrets stools have to be cleaned up immediately so they cannot be
reexposed to it.  Giardia is also not a species specific disease, it is
transmittable to cats, dogs, people, and I'm sure other animals too.  If
anyone has any info on this vaccine, please let me know.  I would like to
call the maker and see what would be necessary to get this approved for use
in ferrets.

Dooks and kisses to your fuzzies,
Shelley Knudsen
Pre-Veterinary Student   UNK
Legion of Superferrets of Nebraska Ferret Shelter
[log in to unmask]    http://www.tcgcs.com/~ferrets
402-463-0190   402-461-6541

To see how you can help raise money for our
shelter without spending a penny, please visit:
http://www.igive.com/html/ssi.cfm?CID=1456&MID=4888