Date:
Thu, 5 Jan 1995 10:49:23 -0500
hey all, i've been lurking for awhile, so i think i'll take this
opportunity to reintroduce myself and my ferrets to the list -- and to ask
some questions.

Beaker and Ehrlenmeier are my two fur-covered miniterrors, both about a
year and a half old.  Beaker is a gorgeous, sleek sable female with a
withdrawn, "snuggle up to you and then CHOMP" personality; Ehrl is a
coarse-coated silver mitt male who thinks he can hide *anything* under the
dresser -- even the vacuum cleaner -- especially if i happen to be using
it.  both of them think the humidifier is the neatest thing...

it used to be that Beaker was a skinny little thing, and Ehrl was a
chow-hound.  recently, Beaker has gained tons of weight (i noticed this
after switching from Iames to Marshall Farms Ferret Food) and put on a
glossy winter coat, and now waddles around like Liz Taylor in her heftier
stage.  Ehrl, on the other hand, has been losing weight (my parents took
care of them between Xmas and New Year's, and i'm positive Ehrl is skinnier
than he was two weeks ago), but his coat shows no noticeable change.  he
also doesn't seem to be lacking any energy (still doing the mad ferret
dance for me when i come home from work, scaling everything from my jeans
(while i'm wearing them) to the bookcases and the curtains), but every time
i look at him, i want to shove a big bowl of pasta under his nose and say
"eat!".  he's getting wasp-waisted, and i don't know what to do.

any suggestions -- or theories on their weight differences -- would be
greatly appreciated.  could it be the food?  or just a winter thing?  or
should i take my fuzzies to the vet and have them checked out?

thanks in advance,

Jenny, Beaker, and Ehrlenmeier