From:
"Holmquist, Maxwell R" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Nov 1996 12:02:59 -0600
hi,

I had Uwe's body autopsied at my normal vet.  in Madison this past weekend.
I was suprised to hear to true story.  Uwe had died froma variety of causes
that happened all at the same time.  For one, tests showed that he did in
fact have a weakened immune system that was genetically inheirited.  He also
had a genetically inheirited disposition to anyerism as well.  The vet.
told me that he died from both anyerism and pnemonia at the same time.  He
said that the brain anyerism came on just as the pneumina was doing him in.
I had noticed that Uwe was sleeping a lot more lately before I found him
dead, but he was still very frisky so I didn't notice that he had had
pnemonis for more than a week before the brain anyerism got him.  I fell so
bad, because I didn'y notice it earlier, but I suppose if I had and he had
been cured, I would have gone through all that money and suffering for
nothing because he would have died from anyerism later anyhow.  I guess it
was his time to go, even if it was at a young age.  I am glad that I know
for sure exactly what killed him so I won't have any more doubts about the
cause of his death anymore.  Thank you, who ever it was, I'm sorry I can't
remember your name, for helping me to better understand Uwe's possible
reasons fro death.  AAl that thinking about the infromation that you
provided me made me want to get a secong opinion from my normal vet.  It
turned out for the best after all.  Thank you to all who have helped me with
rainbow bridge, etc... and have e-mailed me with their feeling about Uwe's
death as well.  I will no longer buy ferrets from Marshall Farms anymore
regardless of their reputation for being a reputable breeder because of what
has happened with Uwe.  I urge all other ferret lovers who consider
purchasing ferret from MF to understnd Uwe's case and take that into
consideration before they buy.  I don't want to get flamed fro this, I just
want people to understand that the best ways to get animlas that are healthy
with a guarantee, is to but them from a private person who bredds them or
from the classifieds in the newspaper.  Sometimes a deal is better thana
more formal purchase as well.  Be a responsible ferret owner!  I have
recently purchased to big and cuddly black-eyed whites from a guy in the
boon docks of Northern Wisconsin.  I was suprised when I went to get them
that they had clean ears, trimmed nails, good temperament, shots, good
weight, a fine coat, were fed well witha good food, were both spayed, and
were in gerneral overall good health-I had never seen ferrets such good
health before them.  I only paid $20 a piece for the pair as well.  This is
just an example of how you can find some of the best ferrets in the world,
from places that are a far cry from MF and pet stores.  Hope Uwe is playing
happily at the rainbow bridge right now, and I hope that all ferret lovers
will always have healthy animlas and will not have to deal with the problems
that I have had with MF regarding their ferrets, if your ferret is from MF.

Sincerly and dooks, Max Holmquist and the new hopeless mustelids
:-)))))))