From:
Roger Vaughn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Feb 2003 17:38:22 -0500
A Sukie-style mass reply here....

>Anyhow the reason I am posting is I just noticed that 2 of them
>have broken one of their "fang" teeth,has this happened to anyone
>else and what do you reccomend I do?  Can this cause an infection?
>And help would be appreciated.

I was remiss in not pointing out that you can have the tooth extracted as
an alternative to a root canal.  It's the much less expensive option, and
doesn't take the same dental expertise or equipment (meaning it's easier
to find someone to do it).  The ferret will be fine without the tooth.
It will take some time to adjust to the loss of the tooth, though, and
they might miss it, but it will not harm their health.  That's why I opt
for the root canal if you can afford it and can find someone to do it.

Also, let me restate, if infection gets into the root, it goes straight
into the blood.  That means you will get infections popping up all over
the body, most often starting in the urinary tract.  That can be a real
mess, and possibly expensive, to clean up.  If you let the tooth go too
long with the root exposed, you will not only have trouble with
infections, but the root - and the tooth - will die and then extraction
will be your *only* option.

>And who could blame her for this.  I myself see a therapist... I
>could well imagine her reaction if I was to fall to pieces over the
>loss of a pet.  Even though she'd be able to hide her feelings and
>stay objective, I surely would be able to see right through it.

Wolfy, forgive me - I'm not picking on you - but this sickens me.  It's
a therapist's job to heal, not to judge.  They shouldn't care if you're
upset because your favorite soap changed its formula, they should only
care about healing your upset.  Death is a major upheaval in anyone's
life, whether it's the death of a human, a beloved pet, or a bird that
happened to freeze to death at your doorstep.  If your therapist would
truly scorn your upset over the loss of a pet ferret, that person needs
to find a new line of work, and you need to find a new therapist.  But
before we go and judge the therapist, ask yourself and answer yourself
honestly - will you not tell her because you are afraid of being judged
and rejected, or because she really will react that badly?  I'm betting
it's the former.  That's no condemnation, not at all; it's just another
self-discovery step.  I would say to you, and to your friend, confront
your therapists with that very fear.  Don't wait until a ferret passes
to clam up, go to your therapists right now and tell them that you're
afraid that WHEN a ferret passes, you will be depressed but will be
afraid to tell them about it for fear of being judged.

>BET YOU CAN'T OWN JUST ONE!

Oh my god.  Did the author write this about MY house?  :-)

>A: The only people who can "see what I have" are single ladies who
>know who sang "Werewolves in London." Aahh-oooo!

Um, shouldn't that be "Werewolves OF London?" Yes, I know who sang it -
I have the album.  Don't worry, though, I'm neither single, a lady, nor
do I want to "see what you have." I have some girl ferrets who might be
interested, though, that is, right after they get finished stealing the

roger & the wolverine wannabees
missing bear