From:
Joanne Brigham <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 Jan 2000 16:27:23 -0500
This is my first post here, and it's probably too soon for me to be
posting, since I just started reading the FML, but I feel this issue is
important.  I think the mention of New Zealand ferrets 'reported' to have
ADV appears to be intentionally designed to panic those who have or have
thought about buying an NZ ferret.  This is my response to Sam's defense of
New Zealand and her ferrets (also posted on APF): My first reaction is to
say, "screw 'em, Sam, they're just jealous".  But spreading rumours this
vile is serious business (not you, Lisa, but the 'un-named' US ferret
breeders).  I'm not involved with ferret-politics, but I know the game well
from showing horses for years.  Some people have the motto of "All's fair
in love and competition." I doubt it's only in the US, but we do tend to be
bolder and brassier about everything.  I hope it helps that even I, a
novice and someone uninvolved in showing or breeding ferrets, smelled sour
grapes in this report as soon as I read it, so I'm sure others will see
through it, as well.  The timing was rather obvious, what with all of our
discussion about our NZ snow babies <g> over the past month or so.  I think
it stinks, to put it politely, that anyone would try to scare those of us
who are the proud owners (even if it's still in absentia!  <g>) of Sam's
New Zealand ferrets.  It's petty, mean and lower than low.  Thanks for
providing facts, Sam, rather than those vague "reported incidents".
Perhaps it's best that this issue is out in the open for discussion, so
you and others can clear the air and establish the facts.

Joanne
Some things have to be believed to be seen...