From:
"Victoria R. Bishop" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Jun 2003 01:36:46 -0400
Hi, I have been lurking this list for years and have really not
corresponded to too many subjects but have learned a lot from you all
of which I really appreciate.  However, I have come up to a problem that
I know nothing about.  I acquired a female ferret today (am nursing a
swollen thumb while typing from the little girl being faster than I am
and biting HARD), and she has not been fixed :-(  While switching from
carrier to cage I noticed that milk was seeping from her glands.  I have
adopted stray/unwanted ferrets on and off for the past 20 years but never
one that has not been fixed.  Nor have I had experience with anything but
at the least 6 month old animal.  Does the presence of milk possibly mean
she is pregnant?

Before anyone starts chiding me for all of this, I do plan to have her
spayed and do not plan to ever breed any ferrets nor do I want to even
entertain the idea.  I do need to know this though.  Should I have them
aborted or let her have them if she is pregnant?  I was told by the
person that I obtained her from that she is about 2 years old (she looks
younger to me) and that she has had at least one litter prior to her
getting the ferret several months ago.  Seems to me that if it has been
several months since having a litter that all milk would be dried up????
Could her biting be caused by the fact she is pregnant?

Evidently, the woman got her from a couple that bred her (the ferret I
mean) and for what reason I failed to understand but she said she was
supposed to get the spayed female from them but they made a mistake and
gave her the jill and then wouldn't take her back.  Her story sounds a
lot fishy to me but whatever.  She also told me that the couple she got
this little girl from is tired of the pair they have and was wanting to
find a home for them so there is a possibility that I wind up with all
three.

BTW I presently have 4 ferts of my own before this one today.

Sorry for rambling but if someone could help me I would appreciate it.

TIA /Vicki/