From:
Rick Roller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Jul 1999 10:09:25 -0600
This topic seems to have drawn another line in the sand when it comes to
Ferret owners.  Just like cage or not to cage, fix or not to fix, and my
favorite Marshall or not a Marshall.

I have read everyones articles on this topic, and by the way, I am the one
who originally brought this up last week about some ferrets that were
housed here for someone.

My curiousity was over the benefits and was it really necessary to do this?
I am not a tree hugger or do I support the needless destruction of any
living creature.  I have seen several people talk about Ferrets are NATURAL
carnaivores and need a natural diet of living mice to eat.  This may be
true, but lets look into our backyards and into the eyes of the other pets
you may have in your home.  Do you feed your DOG, decendent of wild WOLVES
raw meat or give them a small animal to kill for their feeding?  Do you
still allow your cat, decendant of Wild Cats, to kill small game for its
meals?  How about other animals in your homes?  Do you really feed them
their natural diet?

It has been documented with domestic dogs, that if you feed them raw meat,
they will be more aggressive.  Just ask someone who trains pitbulls for
fighting (not something I endorse, but have read too much about).  These
dogs are fed raw meat, kittens, and small puppies to bring out the
aggressive behaviour in them so when they end up in a backyard fight, they
only want to kill.

Does this mean your little ferret will be taking on the neighborhood dog if
you feed it live mice?  Its still too early to tell.  Remember, conclusive
and confident evidence about ferrets is still not out there.  Just like the
FML, we all have our own opinions on these things.  Some are based on
educational studies and personal knowledge.  Others are based on
assumptions and opinions or prejudices.

Do I support feeding live or dead mice to Ferrets, NO.  I would hate to
think that it might, in even the slightest way bring out aggressive
behaviour in them.  That would cause them to bring any negative publicity
to the Ferret community.  SOMETHING THEY DON'T NEED AND MAY ORGANIZATIONS
HAVE SPENT TOO MUCH TIME TRYING TO LIVE DOWN.

Bottom line, its your pet.  You are ultimately responsible for your actions
and the actions of your pet.  You must do what you think is best for you
and your pet.  But just feeding them mice because someone else says its
best, well, thats for you to decide.  Just remember what are mothers use
to tell us, "if your friend jumped off a bridge, would you do the same?"

Rick
United Ferret Organization (note new address)
668 Union Square Ste 234, Sandy, Utah 84070
The United Ferret Organization is dedicated to the protectection of the
Domestic Ferret and education others about the wonderful companion they
make.