From:
Kelleen Andrews <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Dec 1995 23:53:30 -0800
Hi All,

Much to say tonite so get ready!

1st to Stan of Siatkowski fame: I will just this once be an angel and risk
my little devil reputation and if you send me your snail mail address by
private e-mail I will send you an extra copy I have of Ferret Outfitters
catalogue for Winter 95.....  Unfortunately I can't afford to buy anything
out of it or anywhere else for quite a while so I don't want to see your
poor little ones unable to find things to buy w/their x-mas $$$$!

I am officially starting a contest for other names for a group of ferrets!
I doubt there will be a prize unless Starferet or someone else would like to
contribute.  NO $ at all right now or else I would supply one.  Sorry!  I am
starting with the suggestion of A CIRCUS the other day and adding my own
personal favorite, A Curiousity !  Same as before with all getting listed
here for a mass vote if that is OK with the BIGSTER?????  It would be best
to send all contributions to me privately and then I will publish the entire
list, we don't want to use precious space on the FML and it is too hard to
find them all in the posts and not miss someone.  Please contribute all of
you we desperately need a more appropriate name for these little guys.

I have one last nickname I forgot about in my other "small" list the other
day.  Silent Runner which is used when they decide to no longer wear their
ferret jewelry necklaces!You know like a submarine that is running silent?
Definitely one of my favorites.

Has anyone ever used Bitter Orange?  Saw some at a vet's the other day and
it is super concentrated and smells stronger than anything else I've
smelled.

To Pam Barber about the ferret calendar:  You can order it for $12.95 +
$3.00 s/h each from
The Ferret Calendar
P.O. Box 7161
Redwood City, CA 94063            Check or Money Order ONLY
415-851-5775                      Give name address etc. + phone #

To dear poor ol' scarred up BOB (I have plenty of my own too!) I think you
need to have a little talk with Razz & Apollo about cooperation.  They have
all the makings of an extraordinary tag team sort of.  Tell Apollo to pin
the little buggers down with his claws and then let Razz do the chomping
with those great fangs!!!!!  Ta dah!  Problem solved.

Now my last word on Chocolate.  I digested all you said about it on both
sides and then something happened that made my mind up once and for all this
morning.  I was eating some choc.  candies called Sixlets which are very
small round balls of choc.  candy coated and Tribble came up and begged and
fought to get to them so I thought OK just a little.  I bit one in half and
gave him the 1st then the 2nd.  Within 15 seconds of his eating it he jumped
off the couch and heaved heavily until he threw it all up!  This from a baby
that had a severe upper respiratory infection before and still ate and all
and NEVER even threw up once.  I have read somewhere that it is very
difficult for ferrets to throw up anyway so it is usually uncommom and so
should be watched carefully.  This is a warning I personally will NOT
ignore.  Some ferrets may not show symptoms of a problem eating this but it
is real obvious to others of us that this is a bad thing.  And to whoever
asked me "wherever did I get the idea that choc.  is poisonous to ferrets?"
( I detected a rudeness in that statement by the way, hope I am wrong).  I
was told that by the pet store where I got my 1st two.  The guy knew a
person that had their ferret die due to eating chocolate!  It seems to me to
be common sense that if many ferrets do have bad reactions to it then it
might not be a good thing to give to any ferret.  There are much healthier
snacks out there anyway and a ferret with no snacks is doing just fine with
the proper food too.  I hope there will someday be conclusive evidence one
way or the other but in the meantime I refuse to risk my babies lives hoping
it is OK for them.  I will not mention chocolate again unless directly
asked.

Tomorrow we at F.A.N.G (David and I) hope to accomplish another rescue.  We
are trying to buy thru the club two 1 yr.  females not spayed/descented and
in a terrible home and TINY cage.  Being fed generic cat food no less!
ARGH!  God these people drive me mad with rage.  Then we will place them in
new homes as soon as possible (already have 2 members interested) or if not
immediately then we will have them spayed right away and raise the adoption
fee to cover it.  Wish us much luck and I'll let you know tomorrow....

To the VETS:  If we find their vulvas are already swelled can they still
be spayed?  If not what do we do?  HELP PLEASE!  (see above paragraph)

Thanks to dear mom I no longer deal with ferret spilled drinks at my house
anymore.  They think all glasses are filled with ferret elixer you know.
She took a heavy piece of pressboard and cut to wanted dimensions and then
stained it.  Then took 3 empty/clean vegetable cans and painted the outside
of them brown to match.  Then took very heavy nails and nailed thru the
inside center into the wood.  Now the ferbutts can get up and look in them
and drink if it's full but can NOT tip them over spilling all or breaking
it!  It is wonderful not to clean those messes up constantly and have things
ruined.

I now have a headstone for Racy's grave thanks to my stinky brother.  He
used a piece of hardwood and routered in the writing I requested.  It looks
great but will be even better after I use a woodburning kit (NO that is not
a kit proficient at burning wood LOL) to smooth the writing and darken it up
a lot.  I hope it turns out as beautiful as I am hoping for.  I miss Racy
sooooo much!  I still cry at least once a day for the loss of her.  I still
wonder if I killed her albeit unintentionally.  Life here has been pretty
bad for me since she left me.  That is why I haven't written for so very
long.  I still have the last 3 FML's to read to completely catch up but
tonite is the nite.  I hope you all have a wonderful holiday season tho mine
will not be so since I have literally NO $$$ to spend on presents for
everyone.  I am so in debt it scares me.  Not my way and I am not handling
it very well either.  All finances are temporarily in my loving Mom's
competent hands since my depression has increased greatly since Racy left
and I find myself unable to keep up right now..  SORRY to burden you with my
crap but you're really the only people I have to talk to other than my MOM.
Well I'll shut up now, Nite all.

*          Kelleen & The INSANE Animal House        *
*          President & Founder of                   *

*F.A.N.G. - Ferret Association of Neverending Glee  *
*Location : Boise, Idaho                            *
*I'll take a good animal over a good mate anyday,   *
*all THEY want is lots of love and great chow!!!!   *