From:
Sandi Ackerman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Jul 1998 00:20:15 -0700
For some reason I'm totally depressed (again).  On Sunday, three 3-month old
ferrets were dumped at my shelter along with their cage and accessories.
All were purchased a month previous by a guy with his girlfriend and their
young baby.  Dumped because they were moving and the "stupid landlord
wouldn't let us keep them".  Another "Jones and Company" (a local pet store)
fiasco!  The ferrets were $150 ea., the cage and accessories another $200.
That totals $650 that these people likely still haven't paid off on their
credit card.

They'd kept the ferrets outside on their deck because they "smelled so bad"
and the poor babies hadn't been out to play their entire lives.  The people
were right, they did smell awful!  The poop had piled up under the wire
floor and over the wire so that they were walking and sleeping in it.  The
ferrets were covered in the foul smelling slime, so that it was difficult
to even determine their colors.  After an immediate bath and nail trim they
tried to play, but didn't seem to have the energy.  Four days later and
they're now playing like normal babies.

It was just over a month ago that a very sweet 10 week old ferret was dumped
here.  She had bitten the 8 yr old and the 10 yr old children and the mom as
well.  Described as a vicious biter, the mom was furious because the store
(PETCO) wouldn't refund their money, but would only offer them another
ferret.  (Of course now that the mom was an expert on ferrets she didn't
want another one.) We named her Sophie, she's still here looking for a home,
and we often still refer to her affectionately as "the vicious bitter." NOT!

How many more babies are out there, living in similar hideous conditions,
sold by pet stores who pretend to care?

Sandi
Best Little Rabbit, Rodent & Ferret House
Seattle, WA