From:
"William A. Killian" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Aug 1997 13:06:57 -0400
We cite two folks but this is not directly specifically at them really.
just a couple comments on their comments and then expounding...

>From:    Pam Grant and STAR* Ferrets <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: another solution to cage shelves
>this makes the cage more difficult to collapse, but how many of us really
>travel with these cages?

Well us.  We don't use the cages EXCEPT for travelling now.  They "ride" in
pet carriers but "live" in these cages.  Apparently some ferrets are more
clumsy than others.  Ours tend to get rid of the ramps and some hang upside
down from the top of the cages.  If you saw Courtney's Nick show you saw the
ferrets rolled out onto the stage in one of these cages.  The show folks
absolutely loved the cage for the way it worked with the camera and all.

This is not directed at Pam as she did not bring up the subject.  But we
think the "unsafeness" of these cages is overblown.  The interior height
that a ferret could fall is not that great.  Less than counter tops ferrets
fall from all the time.

They are good cages for some people not for others.  They are fine for
ferrets but agree with Pam that getting extra shelves might be better.  Our
preference is for wire floored cages that we put carpets on.  The harder or
waterproof floors in our opinion are harder to keep dry.  The carpet with
the air under it dries out quickly on its own from leaky water bottles and
litter box misses.  The slick linoleum or plastic floors especially with
carpet on them retain the moisture more and could lead more to foot rot.
Ferrets can get dried out cracking pads from walking around on moisture so
our preference is to prevent that as best we can.  We've never had a ferret
hurt on a wire floored cage.  We have seen dried foot pads (many years ago
when still learning resources were scarce in 1988 - been a good decade all
in all for ferrets).

We've never seen a ferret injured from a fall in a cage.  We have seen
injuries from falls outside of cages if the get trapped between things.

YMMV... (Thanks Pam Greene for that...)

>From:    Wendy Hudson <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Midwest cage modification
>I wouldn't use the midwest ferret cage.  Ferrets need square footage, not
>headroom.

You don't have English ferrets.  Ours are up more often that about.
Climbing for them is a passion.  Ramps?  Nope tossed aside.  They prefer to
scale straight up the side.  These ferrets (and those of the rest of the
folks that imported them a couple years ago) are on top of everything.  The
side of the cage "counts" as floor space to them - a choice few even hang
from the top.  These ferrets and many of our non-English would object to
being kept confined where they couldn't have upwards freedom as well as
outwards.  We would never restrict ours to small vertical heights.  This
inhibits their jumping room.  Their bouncing room.  The English ferret
breeders and such seem to have even taller enclosures - at least in the
descriptions of James McKay

Again this is not a direct one on one with Wendy as several others have said
similar things.

The main point is not to disgree with folks that do not like this cage but
to show that not all ferrets are the same - nor should they be.  Not all
ferret owners are the same - nor should they be.  Do what works for you and
your ferret.  Don't do what doesn't.  Be nice to those whose choices and
ferrets are indeed different.

Its a shame yet another company might be getting slammed through group
think.  Too many ferret folks spend too much time attacking ANY company that
introduces any ferret product.  Even if it is a modification of some other
animal product it is a good thing that companies see ferrets as worth
investing in.  But if we attack ever single one of them, they will abandon
us and no new ones will come in.

bill and diane killian
zen and the art of ferrets
mailto:[log in to unmask]  mailto:[log in to unmask]
http://www.zenferret.com/