Date:
Tue, 5 Jan 1999 12:22:02 -0600
It's been a hectic holiday season and thank goodness it's drawing to a
close.  On Christmas Eve a friend of mine dropped off a fresh Christmas
tree as a surprise ... and surprise it was!  I haven't been able to put up
a Christmas tree in about 8 years and 14 years ago my husband and I picked
up a really good looking artificial one not wanting to contribute to the
tree slaughter.  It just wasn't the same having the perfectly formed
artificial one against the natural anything goes shape.  So we had given
it a "hair cut" to make it look more natural.  After losing the Christmas
spirit a few years later, it went into a box only to be seen when a stray
ferret decided that the tree was worth exploring in it's nocturnal
environment.

When the tree showed up at the door I had mixed feelings but decided to be
grateful as it was an extremely kind gesture and this person really had
gone out of their way to cheer me up.  I quickly managed to find our old
tree stand but to my dismay it's cup was half the size of the trunk.  Even
cutting the tree in half would not have given me a second chance.  So, out
the 5 gallon bucket came and in the tree went.  On Christmas day the tree
blossomed open and gave birth to about a bizillion long needles.  My
husband wanted to take the tree immediately to the tree recycling drop off,
but I thought that the ferrets would enjoy a little something different and
they did.

Each one, including the new girls, took their turns shnuffling through the
needles and dancing upon them and the older boys, Chook and Taero, decided
the tree was worth climbing.  Every now and again I would hear a "thuuump"
as one of them made an unsuccessful attempt at getting down gracefully.
But apparently the severe result of gravity was not enough to sway them
from trying it again.... and again... and again.  Before I knew it they
had all had their fun and I had forgotten to take a single photo.  *sigh*

The new girls are making their presence know to all who will listen.  At
about 17 weeks old, they are balls of energy disguised as ferrets and
growing like weeds.  Both girls have traded in their stubby tails for
longer, more elegant mature ones.  Ping has turned out to be the one with
attitude and will promptly let you know when you have done something to
wrong her.  I have never heard so much hissing from a single ferret.  So
here is a brief list of things that pisses Ping off: Chasing her too much
and not letting her get you back enough times; surprising her in a chase
when she wasn't ready to be caught; not letting her chew on my zipper tag
forever in ferret time; not holding her long enough; not paying enough
attention to her when we've just had an exhausting (for me) game of floor
slide and rough and tumble; being scruffed for biting too hard; saying the
word "NO" to her; stealing back the cooked mushroom she stole from my
plate; when kitty wants to play and she doesn't; when I have to pull her
out of my pant leg again, again, and again; my feet for not letting her
chew on them until I bleed.

Mushu is indeed the feisty little dragon we named her for.  I have to laugh
when she eats and another ferret wants to eat too.  She covers the whole
bowl with her body and promptly gives the challengers a good body whack by
swinging her little rear end around fast.  Mushu loves her toys and does
not like Ping to have them.  She hangs on tightly and kills them with such
ferocity that I am glad my hand is not a toy.  But she is the one who has
become gentler in her mouthing us.  Only when she gets too excited does a
slip happen.  Mushu has taken it upon herself to defend her sister from the
brutish boys.  I see the boys high tailing it out of her presence on a
regular basis.  Macho men... HA!  There's a new kit in town.

Both girls are happily exploring the wonderful world of food.  But Ping
seems to be the more adventurous of the two as she seems to like Chinese
food.  Both girls love mandarin oranges and potatoes and chicken.  Ping has
been spotted eating the leafy greens for the guinea pig as well as enjoying
a number of radishes.  A pizza was promptly run across and then stood upon
as soon as the box was opened.  I think they were trying to warm their
toes.  Every time the fridge opens it is an experience to behold.  What
wonders of tasty treats live in the cool, brightly lit box.  Of course,
nothing is allowed in any great quantity and always in moderation.

Now, the dangers of toilets.  Not having had ferrets so young for such a
long time really opened my eyes to taking things for granted.  About two
weeks ago, as I was in bed enjoying the sleep in of a Saturday morning, I
was gently awoken by the scurry of feet running across my face.  As I lay
there I could hear the girls in all their glory running about and playing.
At one point, in my dreamy half awaken state I thought I heard a splash.
As I became more awake and the splashing continued I decided to
investigate.  Upon reaching the bathroom I saw to my disbelief, Mushu
exploring the inside of the toilet.  Unfortunately I had done two bad
things: I had left the toilet cover up, and I left a jumbo pack of toilet
tissue by the throne and that is what she used to climb to get into the
toilet.  Since the removal of the rolls of toilet tissue, Ping now tries to
find out what all the hubbub was all about and what Mushu got to explore
and she didn't.... tuuuuuuiiiiii (hiss in ferreteese)

My sincerest condolences to all who have lost, sick or bridged fuzzies.
May 1999 open the doors to new wonders and solutions for ferrets
everywhere.  Love to all.

Betty and her Blur O'Fur