From:
Nigel Linnett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Jul 1995 09:19:40 EDT
Hi everyone, I love reading this newsletter first thing every morning.  The
editorial comments by BIG, and the ever-present veterinary wisdom from Dr.
Williams is much appreciated.  (Sorry if this runs long)

  I suppose I should introduce you to my little carpet shark first.  His
name is Einstein (sometimes I think he was named that sarcastically <G>).
He is a 4 year old neutered & descented dark eyed white cuddly little guy.
HIs favorite toys are anything black, plastic bags, and anything we drop
into his chosen play bucket.

  It seems as if we have been really lucky here in the Great White North as
many people here have never heard of ECE (except for via the FML) so we can
(and in my case do) take our ferrets all over the place with us.  One of
the local pet stores welcomes anybody with their pets, and of course the
staff there has fallen in love with Einstein.

  Earlier this week my girlfriend and I dropped in to pick up some
Ferretvite for Einstein, and we got talking to one of the sales people and
when she found out what kind of food we were feeding him she got QUITE
anxious and mentioned all kinds of possible health problems related to the
food.  SO I have a few questions for the experts out there.

   1)  Is Purina cat chow likely to cause any health problems in a 4
year old male ferret? (The salesgirl was mentioning problems due to
high levels of corn?)

   2)  Dr. Williams:  You mentioned a while ago that pee-licking
ferrets (of which group Einstein is a member) may be lacking salt in
their diet.  Well Einstein licks anything of a salty nature, and I was
wondering if a small Rodent style salt lick might be of help to him.

   3) What does it mean when they do the 'speed-bump'?  Einstein seems
to do it for almost any reason.

   Nigel, Sue (spell that right!!), Einstein, and his 3 toy kitties.
sorry, no sig for here yet