Date:
Thu, 27 May 1999 16:31:22 -0400
Celeste, my Gus had diarrhea like yours for two weeks after I first got
him.  I kntroduced him to a home with one other ferret.  He was neglected
pretty bad and did not know what another ferret was.  So, Hershey would go
to say hi and Gus would be so scared, he would defecate.  Needless to say,
his diarrhea never improved.  I was an arrogant idiot and just kept saying
that it was stress related and it would eventually improve.  this went on
for 2 weeks.  Eventually , within 36 hours, he stopped eating and became
seriously dehydrated and lethargic.  Well, finally got the heads up and
rushed him to the emergency room for sub-Q fluids.  the next day, we were
at the vet as soon as the doors opened.  Diagnosis, ECE... Now, the point
of me telling that story is that after almost a week of sub-Q fluids, meds
and forced feedings, he is stable, but still has very bad diarrhea.  Doctor
seems to think that the prolonged episode of diarrhea has inflammed his
intestinal lining and he has the equivalent of chrone's disease (a human
disease).  It could be that your ferret has the same secondary problem.
Since this is more likely that worms, I would reccommend trying the
prednisone first.  My vet told me to give him till Monday, then start him
on pred because that was the likely reason he wasn't improving.

Good luck, and I hope my story helps.
Paige