From:
Catherine Shaffer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Sep 1995 11:42:20 -0400
Hello,

    I, too, am interested in adopting a ferret.  I've been frustrated by
much of the discussion on the FML about how many ferrets there are in
shelters that need homes and how we shouldn't buy them from pet stores,
but adopt them from these shelters.  The problem is, I don't know of any
shelters in SE Michigan.  Are there any homeless ferrets in Michigan, yet,
or must I resign myself to paying $200 + vaccinations for a playmate for
my Sebastian?

    By the way, I'm a relatively new ferret owner.  I have one 4.5 month old
fuzzie named Sebastian who seems to think he's a cross between a cuddly lap
cat and a mischeivous toddler.  He's a barrel of laughs.  I feel obligated
to tell at least one cute story about him, since I usually enjoy reading
cute ferret stories.  We took him camping with us, in Northern Michigan, and
one day we were resting at a state part, watching Sebastian caper and play.
People were walking by to visit the waterfalls, and before long we had a
small crowd of people (I counted 12) gathered around us.  Sebastian was in
top form, charging the crowd to the end of his leash, leaping, pouncing,
baring his teeth.  Brent and I were in stitches, in spite of being at the
center of what seemed like a small circus show.  Several people asked
questions, "What is it?" "Is it a wolverine?" We gave our usual spiel, "He's
a ferret, a very nice pet, domestic, etc., etc" when someone shouted out the
inevitable "Does it bite?" My husband, Brent, and I chuckled.  Sebastian has
a wonderful, gentle, easygoing personality, and has never bitten anyone hard
enough to draw blood.  "Of course not!" I answered promptly.  Just as
promptly, Brent shouted "Ouch!" Sebastian had charged up and chomped the
tender inner arch of his foot, exposed by his sandals.  Needless to say, we
could not persuade anyone to pet him after this.  The crowd dispersed, and
Brent and I were laughing like we'd lost our minds.

    Well, if anyone knows of an enclave of homeless ferrets within say, a
two hour drive of Ann Arbor, or has one that needs a new home, please drop
me a line.

Regards,
Catherine Shaffer
   and Sebastian "I'm a viscious wild animal!" Shaffer