From:
Janet O'Brien <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 15 Jun 1997 10:02:23 -0400
>Got a call from a woman yesterday who has a young female ferret she can no
>longer keep.  The problem is that she is nippy.

Karen placed this post yesterday.  I live quite close to this lady, so my
husband and I have taken Leia (as in Princess Leia, we call her Layla) to
foster.  She is more than nippy...she is a panic biter.  She is quite sweet,
but seems frightened and unsure of herself and her surroundings.  I think
she has never had a chance to assimilate into a family and is on the
defensive all the time.  She is fine as long as you do not try to pick her
up when she is not ready for it...I think she was "grabbed" alot in the pet
store where the lady got her, and as a result, she will really bite hard if
startled.  Layla should never have been sold to the home she went to...she
was taken very good care of and loved alot, but the family has two children,
girls about 8-10 years old and they became terrified of Leia, so she didn't
get the snuggles most of our ferrets are used to.

I would love some suggestions anyone has about socializing this little
sweetie so she might someday go off to a new and loving home.  I don't want
to pass her off to anyone else right now...I think she needs to learn she
can trust someone and I would like to be that someone.  She gets along fine
with my four furbabies; ages 3 months to 14 months, but lacks the "joi de
vivre" that most ferrets exhibit, she hides under the sofa when out of the
cage.  I would love to hear from anyone experienced with this type
situation.  The one other thing I notice about her is that she looks almost
like a kid with the mumps...where humans have glands on the side of their
neck she seems a bit swollen...kinda like an Arnold Schwartzineiger neck,
know what I mean?  Could be she is just booffed out...she keeps her tail
puffed up, maybe just nerves...again, suggestions welcomed.  Thanks in
advance and please wish us luck.

Bear hugs and ferret kisses,

Janet