From:
Judy Gronwold <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 25 Aug 2002 11:27:46 -0400
I am not in any way against starting up Ferrets Across America again, but
PLEASE, PLEASE be careful and make sure ALL ferrets are tested for ADV
PRIOR to setting off on their journeys to their respective new homes.

In the past, more than just a few ferrets that were unknowingly ADV
positive (one that I'm aware of even had clinical Aleutian disase it was
later found) were tranported literally from one end of the country to the
other.  PLEASE do not transport unless you are certain that testing was
done on each ferret.  If time permits, have the Avecon saliva (not blood)
test done as well as one from United.

There is no way to understand the absolute horror people felt after
learning that they transported and temporarily housed an ADV positive
ferret.

At the time, it was no one's fault...no one knew just how common Aleutian
disease actually was, but now most of us are much more aware of the
situation.

On a similar subject, it distresses me to see so many people post to the
FML about ferrets needing homes in different areas but not say that they
were tested and are ADV negative.  PLEASE DEMAND a test before taking in
a ferret from anyone or anywhere else.  I have not personally seen any of
these posts even mentioning ADV although a friend told me she did see
"one" one time.  You may think you live in an area that does not have
ADV...or that the ferret is coming from an area that you have not heard
had ADV, but the truth is IF YOU DON'T TEST, YOU DON'T KNOW.  I hear from
many people that have ADV positive ferrets but want that information to
remain confidential.  I always honor their request because I want people
to know they can discuss ADV with me.

If your vet is one who believes that ADV is not anything to worry about,
ask him/her to read Fox's "Biology and Diseases of the Ferret, Second
Edition".  Aleutian disease is mentioned in the secions about heart
disease, lymphoma, myeloma, gastrointestinal diseases, kidney and liver
diseases and, obliquely peridontal disease, to name a few.  Dr. Karen
Purcell's book has many of the same references but also includes one
under the heading "Thyroid".  Dr. Fox devotes 2 sections to Aleutian
disease.  The main section on Aleutian disease states that clinically
apparent Aleutian disease is on the rise in the US.  That book was
written in 1998...long before we even were aware of White Russian,
Nature's Den, certain NZ ferrets, etc.  It was also before SAFE's tragic
problem truly got the recognition it needed.

Aleutian disease is here...it is killing ferrets...and in some areas of
the country, it is spread very, very easily.

Judy