From:
Percy Pwood Georgia Wood <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Jan 2000 21:21:16 -0800
Oh, I love it - sharing our first ferret sightings!

Mine was at a county fair.  I'd heard that the 'Pig Lady' and the 'Chicken
Woman' had had a knock-down-drag-out, and went over to see if there were
any chunks of hair laying around or black eyes to be seen!  What had
happened was the fair had shifted who shared space with whom in some of
the buildings, and had put pigs into the chicken building, instead of their
former space sharers, the rabbits.  It was rumored that the 'Pig Lady' had
won, being as how she had better breeding, kept it together, and didn't
screech and squawk like the lower class 'Chicken Woman'.

As soon as I arrived, I knew it was gonna' get interesting, because a big
bib overhauled guy (oh, that's supposed to be overalls, isn't it?) was
just sitting down a cage full of slinky looking WEASELS (I knew they were
weasels, 'cause they were long and skinny) right in front of the building.
He opened the door (frankly, I think he'd heard about the knock-down-drag-
out too, and was hoping there was still some trouble left that could be
stirred up) and was just taking out one of the WEASELS, when the 'Chicken
Woman' came charging out of the building.  She began screaming that those
were WEASELS, and they would KILL the chickens.  See, I KNEW they were
weasels!  They weren't weasels, the bib overhauled/overalled man said, they
were FERRETS.  Oh, they are ferrets.  Ferrets?  The 'Chicken Woman' wasn't
having any of this ferrets stuff.  They were WEASELS, and they were going
to KILL the chickens, and he better put it back in the cage, NOW.  He
obediently opened the cage door and... And took out another one!  He now
had 2 weasels, I mean ferrets, slithering in and out of his bib and up and
down his arms.  He didn't say much, just that they were friendly, and were
his pets.  The 'Chicken Woman' and for those not fair knowledgable this
means she was the superintenent for all those people showing chickens, was
beside herself.  It looked like she might pop her cork at any moment.

Eventually people got tired of all the screaming by you know who, and the
man, sensing he was losing his audiance, did put his ferrets back into
their cage and take them away.

That was about 1972, and I never saw another ferret until a few years ago.

Say, Eddy, was that YOU at the Clark County Fair in 1972?

Georgia - the left coast one...