From:
Susan Malone <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 May 2000 07:29:34 +0000
We all know how often potential adopters want the young healthy ferrets
and I know each and every once of us that work rescue has plenty of sad
stories.  I'd like to take a minute to recognize a heart of gold.  Sadly
she is not online, but I want everyone to know about her anyways.  About
4 months ago, a lady came to meet me who specifically wanted a kit from
private lines.  A friend of hers had come with her.  While we chatted and
played with ferrets and such, her friend kept going back over and over to
one of the rescues.

Esmerelda had come into rescue a very sad case.  She was found on the
streets and assumed dumped.  The lady who had found her was not even sure
this really was a ferret... because Essi was almost totally bald.  A little
fuzz on her feet and head was all there was.  Her age was guessed in the 5
year range.  She also had the sweetest, most loving and most affectionate
personality I had ever seen in a rescue.

She had received Adrenal surgery but still totally bald... nobody ever gave
her a second look.  This girl seemed not to even notice the missing hair,
all she saw was that awesome personality and the heart full of love.  She
begged me to let her adopt her.  The only hitch was I would not let her
leave until I was sure the surgery was a success and she was on a solid
road to recovery.  For the next 3 weeks LaDonna drove me nuts, stopping by
the house 3-4 times a week asking to see her baby.  Finally she was allowed
to take her home.

About 2 weeks ago, Ladonna dropped by and stuck a ferret in my face... at
first I thought she had adopted another somewhere else, then it dawned on
me..  it was Essi..  with a full coat of fur!  Still short, soft, new
fuzz..  but fur nonetheless!  Just watching the two of them together you
could see their special bond and how much they love each other.  LaDonna
then asked if I had "any more old ones nobody wants that would make a nice
friend for Essi"..  I introduced them to Heidi, a girl found lost and
wandering, half starved.  Age guessed at 4-5 years, horrid teeth, a broken
canine etc etc etc but a very sweet personality.  We put Essi and Heidi
in the play rom together and they struck up an instant friendship.  As we
started working on the paperwork, I noticed Ladonna sitting there with Essi
snuggled and content on her lap... and across the room was her boyfriend,
with Heidi snuggled on HIS lap wearing an equally content and happy look.
I knew then this would be a perfect situation.

L:adonna is well aware neither of these ferrets are in great shape and may
not have a long time left... but she saw only their sweet faces and loving
hearts and wanted to make sure they lived out whatever time they do have
left in the arms of someone who loves and cherishes them.  My heartfelt
gratitude and respect for people like this, and I wish there was more of
them. :)