From:
William Killian <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 22 Jul 2000 12:56:40 -0400
>From:    Dean and Becky DeGeer <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Waardenburg Syndrome

Silver mitt - meaning a ferret who has only black, white and grey hair is
not genetically the same as a Waardenburg mitt.  But unfortunately too
many hobby breeders who do not understand Waardenburg have intermingled
the two so much its getting hard to find a silver mitt that isn't also
also a Waardenburg gened ferret.

Neurological problems are not among the most common Waardenburg syndrome
symptoms as far as we know.

>From:    Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Waardenburg
>The characteristics can include some of the following: panda markings
>(white head), blaze markings (white forehead or cranial streak), dark
>eyed white, wide set eyes, color diminished eyes...

Unlike humans ferrets with Waardenburg also may have white kneecaps, white
belly markings, white feet (if the color isn't black/grey), Sometimes white
tail tips and bibs are associated with the gene as well.

>From:    Rebecca Stout <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Watermelon babies?

Yup.  Its not an isolated flavor preference...

>From:    John Gordon <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Final comments on hypocrisy

Your hypocrisy point was understood here.  We prefer to not bash companies
that are trying to really support our favorite pets.  But all companies
eventually have problems.

We tend to think Bill Gruber's point about Performance Food's bad
experience with the FML was a part of the problem.

>From:    Richmond Ferret Rescue League <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Adoption vs. ferrets for sale

Technically whether a shelter or a breeder by the law's definitions both
are selling.  But that seems so cold to us that know legally pets are
property but see them as something different than a used car.

Since many breeders do not like to talk of 'selling' their kits; and since
adoption is quite associated with shelters perhaps if they adopted terms
such as 'placing kits'.

bill and diane killian
zen and the art of ferrets