From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Jan 2009 13:30:04 -0500
There are heartworm species on many continents, unfortunately.

Some places say as this one does:
http://www.wormfree.co.uk/dog_cat_worms/en/heartworm/heartworm.shtml
but then notice others such as:
http://inpractice.bvapublications.com/cgi/content/abstract/27/3/147
>IN domestic carnivores, almost all parasitic diseases of the heart
>and lungs are caused by nematodes belonging to the
>Metastrongyloideasuperfamily, which includes Angiostrongylus vasorum,
>Oslerus osleri, Filaroides species, Aelurostrongylus abstrusus and
>Crenosoma vulpis. The only exception is heartworm, which is caused by
>the filarial nematode Dirofilaria immitis. Metastrongyle infections
>are encountered throughout the UK... incidence of disease associated
>with these parasites in dogs and cats is relatively low, largely due
>to the widespread use of prophylactic anthelmintics, there is
>anecdotal evidence that [infections] are on the increase. This may
>reflect the increasing urbanisation of the fox, which has the
>potential to act as a reservoir of infection. D immitis is not
>currently endemic in the UK and has been discussed in detail in a
>separate article on imported infectious diseases. This article reviews
>the metastrongyle infections of prime concern in this country and, for
>each parasite, discusses the diagnosis and management options...

which tell about nuances, with lungworm being more of a concern in the
UK at this time

In Europe it is seen mostly in warmer areas currently:
http://www.future-of-vaccination.co.uk/heartworm-heart-failure.asp
<http://www.sciencedirect.com/science?_ob=ArticleURL&_udi=B6TD7-4G4N5YM-3&_user=10&_rdoc=1&_fmt=&_orig=search&_sort=d&view=c&_acct=C000050221&_version=1&_urlVersion=0&_userid=10&md5=4a461ce29d6987152306b4ee20fdd9ab>
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15885913

Lungworm in the UK:
http://www.thefoxwebsite.org/disease/diseaseother.html

I've read that it is seen in Asia and Australia, but have not found
refs (yet?)

One of the refs that didn't work below discussed heartworm in South
America.

Okay, one of the refs below had links that don't work for a non-
subscriber to articles on Heartworm in Iran and in Thailand, and

http://heartgard.au.merial.com/disease/dogs.asp

talks about it in Australia as does

http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/journal/120744270/abstract

http://wapedia.mobi/en/Heartworm?t=10
includes a reference list, renumbered here with ones not working for
me removed but you can go to the original in case some work for you or
in case you want to look them up elsewhere:

http://www.heartwormsociety.org/article.asp?id=11
>"General Heartworm Disease Information". American Heartworm Society.
>Retrieved on 2007-02-26.02
[removed]
>Vezzani D, Carbajo A (2006). "Spatial and temporal transmission risk
>of Dirofilaria immitis in Argentina". Int J Parasitol 36 (14):
>1463-72. doi:10.1016/j.ijpara.2006.08.012.PMID 17027990.
[removed]
[removed on South Asian incidence]
[removed on Middle East incidence]
[removed 5 others that did not work]
>"2007 Guidelines For the Diagnosis, Treatment and Prevention of
>Heartworm (Dirofilaria immitis) Infection in Cats". American Heartworm
>Society (2007). Retrieved on 2007-07-26.114 Berdoulay P, Levy JK,
>Snyder PS, et al (2004). "Comparison of serological tests for the
>detection of natural heartworm infection in cats". Journal of the
>American Animal Hospital Association 40 (5): 376-84. PMID 15347617.
>
>Atkins CE, DeFrancesco TC, Coats JR, Sidley JA, Keene BW (2000).
>"Heartworm infection in cats: 50 cases (1985-1997)". J. Am. Vet. Med.
>Assoc. 217 (3): 355-8. PMID 10935039.Yin, Sophia (June 2007).
>"Update on heartworm infection". Veterinary Forum (Veterinary Learning
>Systems) 24 (6): 42-43. 117
[removed 2]
>Atkins, Clarke E., Litster, Annette L. (2005). "Heartworm Disease". in
>August, John R. (ed.). Consultations in Feline Internal Medicine Vol.
>5. Elsevier Saunders. ISBN 0-7216-0423-4. 118 Atkins C (1999). "The
>diagnosis of feline heartworm infection". Journal of the American
>Animal Hospital Association 35 (3): 185-7.
>PMID 10333254.
>DeFrancesco TC, Atkins CE, Miller MW, Meurs KM, Keene BW (2001). "Use
>of echocardiography for the diagnosis of heartworm disease in cats:
>43 cases (1985-1997)". J. Am. Vet. Med. Assoc. 218 (1): 66-9.
> PMID 11149717.
> http://www.heartwormsociety.org/article.asp?id=11

Heartworm in ferrets:
http://www.miamiferret.org/fhc/heartworm.htm
and go to Dr. Cottrell's publications in
http://members.tripod.com/weah4/id22.html

In the U.S. heartworm has been spreading and some areas which had none
or little as few years ago now are risky areas for heartworm. Here is
the new 3 year survey:

http://www.heartwormsociety.org/article.asp?id=1125

I don't know much about lungworms. I do know there are Asian varieties
in some primates because some of us who luckily were ***not*** infected
had a possible exposure risk over 30 years ago so tested then obviously.

Sukie (not a vet)

Recommended ferret health links: