Date:
Sun, 27 Feb 2011 22:51:06 -0600
When they come to us starved & dehydrated, our first line of defense
is subQ fluids (electrolytes.) Usually 25-35cc`s twice daily.

Next, we give carafate, because a ferret who hasn`t eaten, or has
suffered stress, often has ulcers.

We syringe-feed the critical ones, every few hours around the clock.
Usually, even the sickest ferret will eat soup off of a spoon, within
two to three days--and then they go for the bowl.

We do not restrict feedings. The ferrets eat when they are ready. We
do put bowls of different varieties of kibble in the hospital cage,
in case a ferret cares to munch, and fresh water, of course. However,
most don`t eat on their own for a few days.

We are not vets here, but we have seen miracles. Little Noel came to
us weighing only 12 1/2 ounces. Mary weighed 14 ounces. Farrah3 weighed
13 1/2 ounces & underwent surgery for blockage, the afternoon we took
her in. Panda (Indiana kid) was terribly malnourished! Most impressive,
was our Stantz. (Check out the pictures!) www.zoosferretsanctuary.org
We did not restrict feedings.

Was a necropsy done on the ferret you lost? If the ferret was
malnourished & dehydrated for too long before it came to you, it might
have suffered organ failure. Sometimes, no matter how hard we try, it`s
just too late... Please don`t beat yourself up. You did your best.
That`s all that any of us can do. God bless you for trying.

Love,
Zoo