From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 Feb 1998 12:26:35 -0500
Have heard from both Bruce Williams and Debbie Kemmerer that the Viokase
will NOT harm 'Choppie's normal pancreas.  Any extra will just be passed.
But it will NOT do any good if her intestinal damage is just too extensive
(In that case nothing will help.).  Never-the-less, given the positive
changes Troy Lynn saw with a post-ECE ferret which just kept slowly wasting
away they feel it's worth a shot to see if it might help her.  Steve and I
will let everyone know how things go.  Right now she goes through a lot of
food, but that's what it does with her, too -- goes through.  We hope that
if it's predigested that she might be able to take up more nutrients from it
and gain some wieght.  Pharmacies can get it or it's generic equivalent in
smaller amounts than the jars sold for dogs so we are looking at about $34
for the Viocase or about $16 for the generic from Belvidere (a pharmacy
which specializes in veterinary prescriptions (including flavored ones and
hard to get things, and which does stuff for major zoos and sends things,
908-756-6695) , if anyone is interested.

Sukie