From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 May 1998 18:30:32 -0400
What I know about rabies policies in Canada is sort of hear-say, but I do
have it from a research vet who casually asked someone in a position-to-know
way back when.  It seems that the most common rabies variant there is the
fox one, but some form of red tape which had to be done for the excellent
European study of fax rabies to be accepted was never done so even though a
fine body of work is out there those in Canadian government have to act as
if it does not exist for any legal aspects until it becomes (became?)
accepted through the paperwork route.  Do NOT know if this actually is so,
but do think that folks in Canada SHOULD check with their provincial
governments and see what would be needed according to their own individual
public health vets, rules and regs, provincial law.  etc.  to go toward
quarantine rather than death.  The nature of the explanation is one which
could be imagined with just about any governmental body.  BTW, I seem to
recall someone in Canada saying that their local or provincial area had
decided to honor quarantines, but this is a vague recollection and could be
completely wrong or just partly right.