From:
Pat Shaskin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Apr 2011 08:34:31 -0400
Hi there-

Our ferret Yuki is a rescue. He was about 1 1/2 when we adopted him.
Some time in his past his tail had been broken and not healed properly
so it was all curled up and had multiple "joints". He couldn't lift
it when using the litter box and as a result often had sores and skin
infections under his tail and on his bum. Our vet recommended that we
amputate the tail. After much deliberation and discussion with the
Director of our ferret rescue, we decided to go with this. The surgery
went well and Yuki came home with a golf ball shaped bandage on his
bottom. The follow up care was a weekly visit to the vet for about 6
weeks. The only change we have seen is the way Yuki goes up and down
stairs. Now he goes down the stairs sort of sideways. When he just goes
up the stairs he now does one stair at a time. He doesn't run up the
stairs unless he has a ball or other toy in his mouth Vet believes the
loss of the tail changed Yuki's balance. The positive is that Yuki no
longer suffers with sores and infections along with frequent trips to
the vet and daily treatments at home. Long term this was the right
decision. Yuki is a panda ferret and now he looks like a little polar
bear with that short little tail. He is not sensitive about being
touched (as far as we can tell).

Blessings to all!

Pat Shaskin