From:
millie sanders <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Nov 2003 10:24:18 -0600
I just wanted to add to the article on Petco and advise I am very
encouraged that we can do something about it.

I am president of the Ferret Lovers Club of Texas and was contacted by
the Regional Manager of Petco.  We had a long discussion and were invited
to have training classes with their stores, to set up an adoption at
their stores and to use one for our monthly meetings.  They told me they
already are taking the steps forward on their vendors and inspecting
them..........even a large one can be ruled out if they do not meet
requirements or refuse to change.  In addition to this, the changes that
Alicia was able to get in her state about the age/weight of ferrets being
shipped and sold, Petco is stepping forward in all states (to my
understanding) and will not accept the kits if they don't weight what
they are suppose to at 6 weeks.  In other words, they are getting the
jump on legislation having to step in and make it law, they are
voluteering to change.  She advised she would rather have us adopt out
ferrets at her stores than sell kits, which I explained our adoption
procedure was so different that it might be hard for us to do so but we
could see about educational information handouts and to meet and greet
customers.  They are apparently wanting to deal more in supplies and
equipment for ferrets than actual selling ferrets themselves.

Sooooooooooooo, we had our first meeting at one of their stores in
October and will take them up occassionally on that offer when we have
our arts and crafts classes and other demonstrations that takes up a lot
of room.  We are gathering our people up all over Texas and giving them
the material we would like them to use and teach from, where they can set
appointments with the different stores to visit and advise their people
how to present ferrets to the public along with providing reading
material with the ferrets.

We hope this is going to spread where we can be a part of revising the
conditions and care of the ferrets as well as educating the public.  It
may take some years to really get it turned around, but it sure is a
step in the right direction.

Millie and her Exploding Drinking it up Cleaningcrew