From:
DeWayne Pratt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Jun 1995 08:04:00 AKDT
Hi all,
Sorry this was originally sent 6/16/95 but got returned.

Time for some quick comments...

First, 'Alaska regulations?' from tle, my primary reason for posting.  No
permits needed for ownership!

I didn't think we had any regulations requiring a permit, as I was never
instructed to get and complete one.  I did, just to be sure, check and my
vets office confirmed that no special permits are require for ownership of
ferrets.  Though her assistant that I talked with put a thought in my head
that I haven't been had time to research an answer.  I am not sure if any
restriction or permits are required during transportation into the state.

Do note I believe this state to be fairly lenient in regards to regulations
of  this type, having lived in Alaska my whole life (28 years as of today
the 16th) I feel I have good experience even though I may not always be
right.  Don't confuse this with F&G sports regulation as I know from some
enforcement personal that they are in no ways lenient in the enforcement of
F&G regulations.  Sorry that doesn't have much to do with the ferret list.

I could check into the transportation issue if you would like, I would guess
your checking into this for a friend since you just bought a house.  My
expectation would be that if you had a proof of clean health, shot records &
whatever else might be handy that that would be all that is needed.  Not
certain though!

Story time...
I recently commented this also to Pam Green about having read of ferrets
that are good climbers and ferrets that are good jumpers.  Though I do not
recall reading much about ferrets that are just great climbers and jumpers
all-in-one, I believe my Renegade sure is.  I noted to Pam that this might
be due to the fact that I raised him the first few weeks during training on
the couch which is kinda high, approx. 18" high.  He has no fear of jumping
off of anything, even my arm though he does have to climb down from my
shoulder first.  This is not to say he doesn't do good on my shoulder, he
doesn't particularly care to just sit in one spot but he will say up on my
shoulder till I angle my arm a bit.  He will climb the drapes (or at least
try after a toenail trimming), flying jump from the couch (occasionally off
the 42" high back).  Remember he is just over Three months old.  Any comments?