From:
Jeanine Pesce <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 19 Jul 1998 14:00:02 EDT
Hi everyone.  About a month ago I wrote about my ferret, Benjamin, who keeps
biting for no apparent reason.  I got a lot of emails and some good advise.
I have been working with him and punish him by scruffing and putting my
finger in his mouth and saying "No Bite." But there has been no improvement
at all!  Today he has made me bleed twice!  I know he is not deaf.  But I
can't seem to figure out why he bites.

Here is an example: Today was ferret grooming day (I have 3 boys) and we
were all in the bathroom.  As I was cutting one of the others nails, Ben,
who was flopped on the floor, got up suddenly walked right up to me and bit
my leg.  The other ferret was not crying and nothing was happening to Ben.
Again today, I was standing washing dishes, and Ben did the same thing.  He
walks into the room and just comes up and bites my leg.  He didn't even give
me the chance to realize his presence!  The one common thing about all the
bites is that he only bites fleshy parts of the body such as arms or legs,
never hands or fingers.  What am I doing wrong?

Jeanine