From:
"Michael Dutton, DVM, DABVP" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 May 1997 08:05:06 -0400
**The advice dispensed by myself in reference to FML postings is not meant
to supplant the advice of veterinarians who are in charge of the patient.
If the patient is not currently under the care of a veterinarian, the client
is recommended to take their ferret to one.**

>From:    Ellen Goffin <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: update on Antony
>Some of you may remember that I wrote about Antony's bladder troubles a
>couple times a few weeks ago.  ...

More on flutamide.  I talked to Dr. Rosenthal and she has used it for
adrenal disease.  Her results have been so-so.  She also recommends close
monitoring of the ferrets liver function since you can develop liver
problems as a side effect.

>From:    "Laura C. Orta" <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: boric acid & ferrets
>We have a roach problem.  Someone suggested we try putting boric acid around
>the house (on carpet etc) because its effective in killing household pests..

Boric acid works by dessicating the flea egg shells.  There are other
products on the market also (check out the pet store) that do the same
thing.  These products are harmless unless ingested (probably will only
cause vomiting or diarrhea) or inhaled.

I guess if your overdid it on the floor, ferrets may inhale it too much.

Mike Dutton, DVM, DABVP
Weare, NH, USA