Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Tue, 22 Mar 1994 19:26:00 -0500

To: RBOSSART   [Dick B.]
From: PRAHMAN    [Paul in MI]
Topic: Ferrets
Subject: NH Public Health Statement on Ferrets

I have no info, but regarding posts I put up here, there are vets that
do NOT use IMRAB, and it IS possible to GIVE THE FERRET RABIES by NOT
using IMRAB. This COULD have been how the ferret contracted it!!! A
Janet Williams on P is in Jersey or NY, and called vets, and they were
NOT giving IMRAB. She went to a vet who said he DID give IMRAB, and
after innoculation, she found he did NOT!!!!!!!! The 'modified live
chick embryo' vaccines DO have a POSSIBILITY of GIVING rabies to the
ferret!! The Vets are the ones who ARE notified by the FDA, and they are
ALSO the ones who are NOT following recommended application of APPROVED
vaccines!! To substitute when IMRAB is requested, is NOT good practice!
In GA a year or two ago, a vet was treating two ferrets, recently after
legalization there. State law REQUIRES vaccination with IMRAB! One of
them bit someone, and the two were confiscated. The owner went to the
vet, and needed the vaccination certificate. The vet said he DIDN'T
vaccinate for rabies, "because they didn't need it"!! The one ferret
was returned to the owner, and the one that bit someone was destroyed!!

I AM NOT SAYING VETS ARE A PROBLEM!! I AM SAYING MANY ARE >>NOT<<
WORKING IN THE BEST INTEREST OF THE PUBLIC!!!!! Whether we are ferret
or any other pet owners, to NOT give a shot requested, or to give a
vaccine OTHER than what is stated will be used, is a travesty!! Mrs.
Williams here is the one >>I<< advised, and the one I described in the
above article as having the WRONG vaccine given, after she made SURE
the vet used the approved vaccine!!

travesties!!!!

Paul

My reality check just bounced.