From:
Debra Thomason <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 22 Apr 2001 16:58:12 -0500
Yes, the vaccine changed from a chick embryo culture to a simian cell
culture.  The note was intended to encourage Tracey to check on which
vaccine is being used by the vet before believing it was necessarily a
dangerous vaccine and to complete the information she might offer for his
consideration.  If it did that, then I'm happy.

>"...the abstract quoted <snip> doesn't mean that it is guaranteed to be
>effective and safe in ferrets..."

I never said it did, only offered it as an information point for
individuals to make their own decisions.  But neither is there proof that
Galaxy-D is dangerous or ineffective.  Weren't or aren't some distemper
vaccines based on ferret tissues?  Those would then seem to me to be poor
choices for vaccinating ferrets without significant study proving safety.
At least with Galaxy there is an empirical history of safety.

In case anyone cares to know more about the personal background/bias from
which I have decided that Galaxy-D is a reasonable vaccine choice, I have
used Fervac, Galaxy, and Fromm-D for my ferrets (all vet administered by
the same vet).  I currently have one ferret vaccinated with Fervac and
the other with Galaxy.

Debra in Fort Worth