Date:
Sat, 16 Aug 2008 13:26:00 -0500
I discovered that setting up a wire cage (instead of carriers) with
hammocks so the ferrets can see out the windows makes the ride more
enjoyable for the ferrets. If I use a single level cage I prop it up on
a box and put a thick quilt between it and the back of the seat to hold
it in place in case of any fast stops. There are so many styles of wire
cages now that it's easy to find one that will fit in any vehicle.

It helps to give them a little melatonin about 30 minutes before the
drive. Melatonin helps relax them.

Take gallons of water to mix with the new water they will be drinking.

Take a playpen along and when you stop for bathroom or food breaks,
let the ferrets come out to stretch their little legs in the pen.

If stopping for meals, use the drive-through instead of going in and
leaving the ferrets in the vehicle by themselves when the weather is
warm. Vehicles heat up quickly and if windows are down and the ferrets
manage to get out of the cage they might be able to get out of the car,
or someone might steal them.

Take along an ice chest in case the AC in the vehicle fails.

Consider joining AAA or some other vehicle repair service for peace of
mind.

tle
www.ferretfamilyservices.org