From:
Inge Nespolon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Oct 2006 09:17:14 -0400
I would just like to explain that feeding ferrets "raw" does not
necessarily mean you have to feed your ferrets dead mice or chicks etc.
These are wonderful for them, but some people can not handle feeding
them.

I feed my ferrets a raw diet consisting of chicken wings,necks, cornish
hens, rabbit , quail, along with some chicken livers, chicken hearts
and gizzards and the occasional raw egg yolk. I also give them salmon
oil. The organs are fed in proportion to what would be in the animal.

The cornish hens and rabbit etc are cut into pieces and then I put
several pieces in small plastic bags, freeze, and thaw as needed. To
give you an idea of how large a piece they can handle once they are
used to eating raw, they can eat a whole chicken wing without me having
to cut it and yes the raw bones are wonderful for them. It is cooked
bones that are harmful to animals. When you hear the term "raw meaty
bones" it simply means giving them a piece of raw meat with the bone in
it. Eating the bones and eating large pieces of meat keeps their teeth
incredibly clean. I never have to have their teeth cleaned as I had to
do in the past with my kibble fed ferrets.

When I first started feeding this, I always worried about them getting
sick, the meat going bad etc. I feed them in the bathtub when they are
downstairs and they have a feeding box when they are upstairs, like a
rice digging box except it is only for their meat. They eat twice a day
as a rule. The meat can be left out for about 12 hours or so. I know,
that sounds incredible! Freaked me out at first too! Once in a while
they do sneak a piece of meat to a stashing place if I am not looking
{they are free roam by the way}. Sometimes by the time I find it it is
pretty rotten, but they will not eat it. They are not stupid.

And to the people who think feeding raw and or prey is gross and cruel
to the animals, what the heck do you think is in your ferret kibble?
You think no animals were killed for that? At least the mice and chicks
are killed humanely.

Did I mention that I myself am a vegetarian? But I love my ferrets
enough to provide them with what I believe is best for them.

If anyone has any questions about raw feeding, feel free to email me.

Wishing all your ferrets long and healthy lives.

Inge