From:
"~*Jules*~" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 May 2005 22:26:55 -0400
Hey,
Well as you know, I am moving to Massachussetts in a few months.  I am
currently trying to figure out the pet situation.  I cannot imagine 10
months without an animal.  It would probably kill me.  LOL.  Here's the
situation.  I cannot take my dogs, cats, or ducks with me.  That leaves
my ferrets.  I also brought home a stray cat the other day, that I may
end up keeping (knowing whether I can do that or not is still days if
not weeks away.)  I am also considering a snake.

I plan on incorporating animals as a major part of my photography, which
is one reason why I would like to have the ferrets, cat, and snake.  They
also provide stress relief, comfort, and a way to trade for help or model
time with other students (aka I let you photo my cat if I can photo your
prop) There are also benefits to having them, as they make a house feel
more like a home and more secure.  Especially a cat, as they can greet
you at the door.  Now a cat and a snake are not high maintenance.  A
snake is low maintenance.  A cat is medium.  Ferrets are high.  I know I
will be incredibly busy.  This is not such a big deal with a cat and a
snake.  But, then there's the ferrets.  I am feeling bad right now
because they are not getting as much time with me as they should be.  I
was hoping that would change once I moved because they could be roamed in
my bedroom and I would be there in the morning and at night some to play
with them and such.  But I am having concerns about this.  I want to take
them with me and be able to do more with them, have them out more than I
do now, but I am afraid that I will be too busy, especially during the
3rd part of my program.  I want to do the right thing for my fuzzies, but
I don't know what it is!  I feel rather helpless because there is no way
I can know how much time I will have or what I will be able to do.  I
don't want to give them up because I would feel like a failure and I love
ferrets and always wanted them, and giving them up would break my heart.
I want to have them with me.  But I have to consider the fact that I
might not be able to.  I would feel horrible having to sit them with
someone for 10 months.  That's so long!  And I so want to be able to use
them in my photography.  I also wouldn't be able to pay the person, other
than some money for food and litter.  And what happens if a vet bill
comes up?  My savings are small now, as well as my dads, because of
college.  I just don't know.

I feel so horrible because I don't know what to do.  I know some of you
may say, well just don't keep the cat or get the snake, but that does not
fix any of the problems.  Having the cat and snake does not add to the
problem, nor does not having them eliminate any of it.  They are almost
a non issue in this.  The ferrets are still high maintenance.  Also,
finding housing may be trouble.  I just want to do the right thing for my
fuzzies.  I don't want to burden myself, a shelter, or a family.  yea.
Thanks for listening to this meandering, somewhat dismayed post.  If you
have any ideas I am welcome to them.

I know some of you may think, why did you get ferrets when you were going
to go away to college.  Well, I didn't.  I got ferrets when I was most
likely either not going to college, or going to go to a local college and
living at home.  It was totally unforseen that I would move out of state
for almost a year.  You can't plan for everything life throws.  I just
feel caught between two things.  Can anyone help?

Thanks all
- Jules