From:
scott sweet <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 9 Mar 1997 17:09:47 -0500
In reference to Shelley Straight's posting on introducing new ferrets.

I have had my female sable, Honey, for a year now and thought she might like
a playmate.  I found a male sable in a pet shop that stole my heart (what
ferret doesn't steal your heart); he was so sweet, cuddly, and fat that we
had to take him home.  (We named him Buddy).  I decided to keep them in
separate cages until they got used to each other.  The cages are connected
by an "L" shaped tunnel.  I introduced them out of the cages on my bed.
They wrestled a little and Honey just couldn't stop "hissing" at Buddy.
Buddy also started to show his true colors by biting hard.  I agonized about
taking back to the pet store or finding him a new home but ended up keeping
him on faith that they would eventually learn to like each other.

That was two weeks ago.  Honey and Buddy are getting better with each other,
they will run around the room for a while without noticing each other and
then just go at it until I pull them apart.  To correct Buddy's biting, I
chose the scruff and NO! method.  I think the hissing is getting better but
I still won't leave them alone together or put them in the same cage for
long periods of time. I'm just hoping and praying that they learn to get
along.  Keep you posted.

Scott Sweet (daddy)
Melissa Tittle (mommy)
Honey (I want all the attention)