From:
Kim Burkard <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 May 1999 09:54:04 -0400
>I learned today that Codo does have adrenal disease.  (5 yr. old castrated
>male) I am now facing treatment options.  Codo currently seems healthy,
>does not have any prostate enlargement, and is still eating well.  Both
>adrenals should be removed and I was told the surgery would cost
>$800-$1000.  The alternative treatment suggested to me was Luprelide
>injections.  For financial reasons I would like to contact Dr. Kawasaki
>in VA but cannot find info on how to contact him.

Chris, I see that you are posting from a Cornell address.  If you are indeed
in Western New York, you can find a ferret friendly and knowledgeable vet
closer to home.  I would suggest that you give Brockport Animal Hospital a
call.  Their number is (716)637-6190.  As their name implies, they are
located in Brockport, NY.  (Brockport is just to the west of Rochester and
definately within driving distance of Ithaca.)

Dr. Edwards, at the Brockport Animal Hospital, does alot of ferret surgeries
a year.  We had our oldest there for both adrenal and insulinoma surgery at
different times.  They cared for Squirt well and he healed nicely and quite
quickly after each surgery.  Dr. Edwards is also the vet for the local
ferret club and shelter (WNYFLFA).  (Read as he sees lots o' ferrets both
healthy and sick!)

Our bills were MUCH lower then $800-$1000.  I don't have the figures right
in front of me, but I think the insulinoma surgery (which was done in
february) was in the $100-$200 range.  I think the adrenal surgery (in 97)
was a little more...maybe $200-$300.  Since I don't have the bills in front
of me, I could be a little off so don't quote me on the prices.

I wish you luck with Codo!

-kim, squirt (peel me a melon), pipppi (RAISIN! I NEED ME A RAISIN!),
 atlas (my kingdom for some ferretone), jinx (love me. fear me. do as
 I ask and I will be your slave.) and rosie (rosie-rella, the terror of
 tiny town)

Kimberly Burkard     |             _    Everything I needed to know in life,
Eastman Kodak Company|      _____C .._. I learned from my ferret:
Rochester, New York  | ____/     \___/  Frolic and dance for joy often, have
[log in to unmask]    |<____/\_---\_\    no fear or worries, and enjoy life.