From:
Marta -Cricket <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 21 Feb 1998 10:41:05 PST
I havd to laugh at all the posts with dumb questions.  I've heard plenty of
them myself.  I live in a rural area where most folks own dogs, and have
outside cats.  They just see me with my babies on their leads and chalk up
my unusual choice of pets as the usual excentricity of "the art teacher." My
students all love my babies, and have told parents about them.  I get a lot
of questions, so I try to take the chance and educate as much as I can.  I
also live in an area that brings in a lot or tourists.  So, quite often I
have questions from them...like "where did you get it?", "Aren't they
illegial?" Like I'd be walking them, taking them to the park, the gas
station and to school if they were...and I always get asked it they bite.
That is when I happily explain that just like a kitten or puppy that you
have to train how to play without biting, you have to train a ferret.  I
also explain that Just like any other animal, when they are threatened or
frightened they may nip out of fear...but expalin that with love and
patience they make wonderful animals...then when they ask to pet them, I
pick up one of the babies and present their BACK to them.  That way I have
control over the Biting end, and the interested person can happily pet the
inusual little creature :)....The people leave happy, and I can feel like
I've helped educate someone without fear of threatening my little ones.

But, you always have to have one sarcastic soul in the crowd.  When my
boyfriend is with me, and someone askes "What IS that thing?" His favorite
responce is..."A bear in a ferret suit." He's such a snot :)

Marta and my little ones.....Angelina the priss, Sasha the climber, Nikoali
the cuddle bug and Chico the hellion