From:
JudithMoon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Nov 1999 19:37:32 -0800
Hi!  I received several questions about bathing ferrets.  So here goes.
First of all, I do not bathe any of ferrets on any regular basis.  I keep
the cages clean, bedding clean, litter boxes clean and I enjoy the slightly
musky odor of my ferrets.  When I have time I prepare a tub of warm water
about 4" deep with sides low enough the ferrets can easily climb out.  I
put a few bath towels on the floor (vinyl flood), set down the tub and turn
the ferrets loose.  Somebody usually finds the water and then others have
to see what is going on.  Soon they are all enjoying the water.  Some get
all the way in, others piddle their paws in it.  I never force anybody, but
usually sooner or later they all end up in the water.  I allow them to come
and go as they want.  They all seem capable of swimming and don't seem to
fear water.  They usually make a royal mess of the ferret room, but they
have a lot of fun doing it.  I would suggest that you let your ferrets set
the pace for learning to play in or with water.  If you force them, you can
scare them badly and they will always fight getting baths.  Living with
ferrets is not a case of you teaching them, but of learning to let another
life form live with you in their own way.  Quit trying to make your ferret
do what other ferrets do and enjoy him or her for his or her own
uniqueness.

Judith
Moonsong Ferrets bred to be the perfect companion
http://moonsongferrets.virtualave.net