From:
"Sheri M." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Jan 1999 07:14:56 -0600
Hi all --

Most of my ferrets took to leashes and little walks very well.  I'd just
take them out, and at first walk along the curb, so they had a "wall" to
follow.  And I'd lead, and make clicking sounds, and crouch and get them to
come to me, and eventually they learned to follow.  A couple of them *do*
follow me like perfect little dogs, and people think it's a riot.  They do
this particularly on our way home from the store, a walk that they're
familiar with, used to, and they really seem to know where they're going.
I like to walk them around the house outside, up and down the sidewalk, and
keep encouraging them to approach our door.  Then I open the door and let
them walk into the entry way and up the stairs.  I always hope they'll know
how to come home if they get lost.  It also lets the neighbors know I've
got ferrets, in case one ever escapes, promotes my shelter, and gets me
shelter contacts.  Amazing how many ferret people are out there, if you
only take your ferret out to meet them.

My deaf ferret was the hardest to teach, but now he's the best leash-walker
in the group.  I had to find a stick that I could drag along in front of
his nose, or tap in front of his face to get his attention, as "clicking"
at him was useless.  (tho' I still "click" out of habit).  No, I never
tapped *him* with the stick, just used it to get his attention.

Quick story:  We have this toy called "Alley cat" and when you squeeze his
foot, he meows a couple of times, then there's a pause, then it lets out a
horrible screech and starts making hissing and spitting sounds and shaking
and spins around.  My boyfriend was holding it, and I was standing there
waiting through the gentle meows, holding back laughter, and when the thing
started to shake he about jumped out of his skin.  Well, my explorer ferret
was checking it out, and hoping for the same reaction, I squeezed the toy's
foot.  And waited.  He was interested in the meows, and when the toy
started freak-out mode, I was ready for the ferret to run like h*ll.
Ha-ha.  No dice.  Mort just stood there looking at it, completely
unsurprised.  Nothing fazes him-- he's cool to the max.  I think he finds
the world so interesting that nothing surprises him.  Or maybe it's just
that he's so used to the dog harmlessly attacking him out of nowhere with
all her growls.  Anyway, his reaction after that was an overwhelming urge
to steal the alley cat and tuck it away somewhere for further study.

--Sheri