From:
Wayne gardner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Oct 2003 16:38:43 +0100
Hi all

We have recently posted re Bailey and his episodes of lethargy and
strange dehaviour.  An initial diagnosis of early renal failure was
reached following blood tests but this does not cover all the symptoms.
A second opinion has uncovered Insolinoma.  The vet who diagnosed bailey
is unsure of the stage of the disease but he has only been symptomatic
for a short while and this is a slow growing disease.  The vet diagnosing
bailey, as a general rule, would not recommend a surgical solution.

What are peoples thoughts on this?

I would expect ultrasound to be useful diagnostic/staging tool but how
easy in ferrets would it be to get an image (I am only use to doing this
with people where everything is much bigger).  I would be inclined to use
a small HF or phase array, anyone out there with ultrasound experience
have suggestions for a technique.  Our vet only has access to large
broadband curved arrays but I have access to non-clinical
research/training machine and access to almost any probe.  The bonus with
bailey is that he is extremely cooperative so the lack of sedation to
stop him moving should not be an issue.

any thought would be greatly appreciated

W.

Wayne Gardner
Clinical Scientist
Dept. of Medical Physics