From:
Deva Kolb <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 16 Oct 2011 08:50:07 -0700
I know how hard finances are this time of year. It is hard to think of
ferrets when you don't know how you are going to get presents for your
kids or grand-kids. I have been there and I am still there (although I
plan of being rich by this time next year, LOL). But, there some ideas
you might be interested in.

The dollar store often has soft baby blankets or sheets. The sheets can
be used to line the large floors of the cage. There are toys (check for
safety hazards of course). There are glasses you can etch with ferrets
if you have the stuff to do that, there are vases and things that can
be painted with ferrets.

Fabric stores and places like Walmart have a fabric sale table. Keep an
eye on it for fabric to make cage liners, sleep sacks, hammies and just
soft cuddle blankets. Buying a package of large bells that can be
inserted into (and re-sewn) small plush toys to liven then up.

You can take a small piece of fleece and add some batting and a bell
and make a dozen or more tiny (1 to 2" each) play pouches that jingle.
Ferrets like to see little faces (it's the eyes) so sew two eyes --
maybe a couple ears and a nose, and the ferret will have a playmate.

Perhaps you have some toys that have not even been used that would make
a wonderful present for a ferret. Another idea is to talk with friends,
neighbors, church buddies, etc. Ask if they could make and donate some
crochet eggs or other rattle toys. Or maybe they have some pieces of
flannel or fleece they are not going to use.

If you ship early, the postage would be less as you don't have to mail
priority mail. Sometimes you can even find people or organizations who
will donate stamps. If you start early, it is amazing what you can come
up with and definitely worth a try. You don't have to have a lot of
money to give, you simply have to be a little more creative. Being
creative can be fun for you and beneficial to the Giving Tree Ferrets.

Deva