From:
Tootsie Mead <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 18 Feb 2007 04:18:25 -0500
Hi Tracy,

Wow, your story sounds familiar! I just adopted 2 ferrets about one
month ago. They were doing fine and a week ago, ended up vomiting and
had bouts of diarrhea. I do not know if it was stress from them being
introduced to my other ferrets, food change or addition of new food
(innova evo and wysong 1 and 2 ), or if they got into something bad
somehow or what the heck happened. I brought them to the vets and she
did a fecal, etc. My boy had a temp and she could not get a temp on my
girl, she wouldn't allow it. All was clear when she checked the fecal
herself but she said she would have a tech recheck it to be on the safe
side. I got home and got a call from the vets office, they found one
roundworm in the poop my little girl did on the vets floor which was
the sample they tested. I was rather shocked as I have not heard of
this before! My ferrets are not near where the dogs travel either. We
also have cats but the cats are indoor cats, unless the cats got it
from the dogs as they are in contact and the cats are in contact with
the ferrets. We do have a horse and my husband does track mud in and
when he puts his boots by the door and the mud dries, a couple of the
cats like to roll in it before we get a chance to sweep it up. My vet
wanted me to treat everyone to be on the safe side. I am using Imathol
liquid and treated everyone a week ago and will treat them again in one
week. I also read that roundworms were a form of heartworm and that
threw a scare into me too! I hope not, I will have to email my vet and
ask her.

Eleanor, Donald and the 11 ferts