From:
Kymberlie Becker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 Jul 1997 03:39:40 -0400
Recently there have been several posts from people that are interested in
changing the laws regarding ferrets, and people that want to find out what
exactly the laws in their states are.  I'd like to take this opportunity to
let newcomers and those not already familiar with my project know about the
IFRIC.

The International Ferret Rights Information Center will be a comprehensive
web site devoted to listing all pertinent information regarding ferrets in
all 50 states and in several countries.  Information that will be listed on
this site will cover everything from whether ferrets are legal or not,
(statewide or locally), whether permits are required, spay/neuter, vaccines,
etc., required, whether rabies vaccines are recognized, what happens if a
ferret bites a person (kill & test or quarantine), where "stray" ferrets
wind up and if they are killed or adopted out, etc., etc.

There will be several purposes for this web site.  First, it will provide
answers to questions to people that are either new ferret owners or to
experienced ferret owners moving to a new state.  Second, it will provide up
to date information concerning all laws in each state (province, country,
etc) and in an emergency, such as another Kodo/Kelly case, all laws will be
readily available (and written documentation/proof of these laws will be
kept on file) so that we will be armed with law and fact when fighting to
save a ferret.  Third, TAKE NOTE, this information will point us to "hot
spots" in the country where policy is extremely un-ferret friendly, areas
where change is needed a.s.a.p.  For instance, if after this information is
compiled, we discover a state/county/province that automatically kills and
tests for rabies, even in vaccinated ferrets, no questions asked (attn,
Michigan), then we know that some group needs to form in that area
immediately to change these laws.  This project will be the first step in
making all of the changes that need to be made to keep ferrets from being
killed all the time.

If you are not an IFRIC volunteer, and you would like to help out in
gathering research in your home state (province/country) please contact me.
I can use volunteers from everywhere, even if your state is already
represented.  I am not hoping to get enough volunteers to go deeper, to a
local level, as we are finding that in many states, there is *state* policy,
but that *local* laws can override the state's laws.  I'd like to list this
information county by county, eventually.  I need more volunteers.

If you are interested in learning more about the IFRIC project, please
contact me and I will provide any info you need.  Volunteering simply means
taking the time to make a bunch of phone calls to state/local agencies, you
should not have to even leave your home/work to do this research (might
incur some phone bills, but you can choose how many calls to make).

We still have no volunteers for Alabama, Alaska, Idaho, New Mexico, North
Dakota, South Dakota, Tennessee, and Wyoming.

Remember, I can still use volunteers from EVERY state, though!  And any
other country that has ferrets!  Please help to do your part in making sure
ferrets are safe to be taken out of the house.  Change begins, one person at
a time.

Kymberlie Becker
Director, Pennsylvania Ferret Rescue Association
"Forget Puppy Love...There's nothing Greater than Ferret Love!" TM
http://home.sprynet.com/sprynet/ferretlady