Date:
Tue, 30 May 2000 18:52:11 -0700
>"NOW FOR THE OTHERS, the people, who even after I said "DO NOT waste my or
>your time justifying your existence or reason for doing what you did." but
>these individuals who are the reason we have this problem, felt it was in
>their best interest to write to me and try to justify the reason behind
>dumping their ferrets, dogs, cats, etc.... Sorry, but I don't care

Ahhhh the milk of human kindness curdles yet again......

As a former animal control officer, I can tell you there ARE sane,
reasonable,honest reasons people give up their pets.  The parent(s) who
lose a job and have to make a choice between feeding their pet(s) and their
kids...The family who finds their child is severly allergic to the pet(s)
and not responding to shots.....the owner who suddenly finds they have to
move and can't find a place to accept pets......the pet that turns on the
family after years of loving care.......

I have dealt with many people who, for whatever reason, have had to give up
their pets.  Granted, their are many people who give up their pets for
their own convenience, but don't group them all together with the caring,
loving people who have no choice.  Would you tell these people to give up
their children to keep their pets?  Would you tell these people to live on
the streets to keep their pets?  Would you tell these people to allow their
children to suffer horrible reactions and keep their pets?  Don't these
pets deserve better than that?  If you have never been forced to choose
between your pets and your children, or your pets and your home, please
don't cast stones.  It is painful enough without having to be critisized.
And no, I have never given up a pet for any of the above reasons, I am the
one who has taken them in, without reproach, without critisism, because
in the long run, the pets were better off.  I also know how difficult and
painstaking it can be to run a shelter, but the answer is in education, not
rebukes.  Turn that negative energy into something constructive and just
reach out to those in need.  there will always be those who get pets "just
because" and there will always be someone like us who take them in, but
don't categorize everyone who has to give up a pet as "bad"

Susan and the critter crew

=====
 ...to be ourselves causes us to be exiled by many others, and yet to
 comply with what others want causes us to be exiled from ourselves.
 -- Clarissa Pinkola Estes