From:
"Schwabe, Jerome P" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Jun 1996 10:40:04 EDT
Hi fellow carpet shark owners,
My 10 month old male sable has for the past 3 months, been urinating small
amounts on everthing he comes in contact with.  I've found piddle on top my
desk, across the fish tank stand, legs of chairs and even in a half full
laundry basket.  Several visits to the vet have left both the the doc, and
myself puzzled.  On the first visit, the vet obtained a small amount of
urine, and did preliminary testing...found small amount of blood in in
Sammy's urine and started antibiotics immediately(amoxicillian) His
condition seemed to improve following treatment, but a week or so later the
same problem existed.  Second visit to the vet resulted in similar diagnosis,
another UTI, this time the vet switched Sammy's drugs (sulfa-something) in
hopes of killing resistant bacteria.  No luck.  Next step, I switched vets,
I live in an area in Upper Michigan where Ferrets are just becoming popular,
and sadly the area vets admit to knowing very little about ferrets.  Today
Sammy will be going back for his second visit to the new vet.  I have not
changed litter, nor fed him anything but Science Diet.  He seems listless,
has gone through a heavy shed, has lost 3/4 lbs, and is still piddling his
way around my apartment.  Not sure if its related, but Sammy's condition has
also accompanied a overpowering ferret odor.  His condition seems to be
worsening, and I cannot get a straight answer from the vets.  Has anyone
ever experienced a similar problem with your kids?  Is there a vet online
that could suggest a diagnosis?  I'm running out of cash from bills and
prescriptions and lil bucaroo isn't better...My sympathy to all fuzzie
owners who have had kid(s) head for the light, may your pain be replaced by
warmth and happy memories.

Jerome P. Schwabe
Northern Michigan University

"Extensive research shows that not one alcoholic has actually ever seen
a pink elephant."  Yale University, Alcoholic Research