From:
Anonymous Poster <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Aug 1999 12:12:19 -0700
It is so much easier to blame others than to take personal responsibility
for our actions.  In fact, it is an accepted way of life now.  I have a few
questions for Dawn in response to her post about her life changing, needing
a home for 7 ferrets, and how disgusted she is with shelters.

1. It appears from your post that you have been collecting ferrets for two
years.  Were you a single mom making $10,000 a year and having food taken
out of your mouth so you could feed the ferrets the entire time you were so
overcome by ferret math that you couldn't stop yourself, or is this also a
new life change?

2. It appears that you have firsthand knowledge that shelter life for a
ferret is very sad and that shelters are overwhelmed to the point of
closing.  Would you agree that the very core of the shelters' problems are
caused by ferrets being dropped off because people are not making lifelong
commitments to pets that they at one time chose to take responsibility for?

Don't blame the shelter for being inadequate because it isn't euthanizing
the sick ferrets, thereby making it an unfit place for you to dump yours;
don't try to rationalize placing a ferret with chronic diarrhea into a
foster home because "it had problems from the beginning and you don't know
why the breeder sold it to you." Don't try to blame everyone on the list
for not helping the shelter out when you posted it needed help.

I hope that you are successful in finding good homes for your ferrets,
not only for the ferrets' sake, but for the sake of shelters who will
undoubtedly take on your responsibilities if you don't find them homes.  I
also hope that the next time "math" of any kind strikes you, you put some
serious thought into your decision and make sure you can make a lifelong
commitment because life changes all the time whether it's convenient or not.

Posted anonymously for the protection of the innocents who didn't choose to
live in CA - not because I am afraid to sign my name.

[BE]